Sound Transit is partnering with the City of Federal Way to produce transit-oriented development on approximately six acres of land, next to the future Federal Way Downtown Link light rail station. The Federal Way Downtown Station is one of three new stations being constructed as part of the Federal Way Link Extension Project. The area around the Federal Way Downtown Station is part of the City of Federal Way’s plans for their City Center. Together, Sound Transit and the City of Federal Way look forward to fulfilling the City’s vision for a compact, mixed use, mixed income and walkable urban center.
Sound Transit bought approximately six acres of land near the Federal Way Downtown Station site. During construction of the Federal Way Downtown Station, the site is used as equipment storage and station construction support. When the station is complete, the property will be available for transit-oriented development.
Sound Transit and the City of Federal Way are completing a real estate market study to better understand TOD opportunities on the site. Together, Sound Transit and the City will be leading community engagement efforts in 2023 to learn more about the community’s vision for TOD near the new station. Sound Transit and the City of Federal Way will publicize in advance when engagement opportunities will be available.
- Approximately six acres of land available for redevelopment once transit project construction is complete.
- The project will be consistent with the City’s vision for a compact, mixed use, mixed income and walkable urban center.
Study site conditions and development opportunities.
Determine community needs, priorities and vision for the station area and the TOD site.
Establish goals for the site, including amount of affordable housing and ability to discount the property price.
Organizations interested in developing the site submit proposals, from which a winning team’s proposal is chosen.
Developer builds the TOD.
Have more to say? We’re listening!
Email Matthew Mateo at firstname.lastname@example.org if:
- You have more ideas about what should be built at Federal Way Downtown Station that you want us to hear.
- You’re interested in the Sound Transit Request for Proposals process and want to learn more.
- You’re a community-based organization In Federal Way and want to get to know us.
- You have questions about our program or process.