New Puyallup Station garage and surface lot to open for parking
Station provides more than 1,000 spaces for East Pierce transit users
On March 27, Sound Transit will open the new parking garage at the Puyallup Station to serve Sounder S Line passengers and users of other Sound Transit Express and Pierce Transit services. The garage along with a new surface lot and seven new spaces at the existing lot combine to provide 1,044 parking stalls. The existing parking at the Puyallup Station has been routinely full very early in the morning, even in recent years, leaving later-arriving riders with an offsite satellite lot as their only parking option.
"We are proud to open this new facility at the Puyallup Station, which will allow greater access to Sound Transit services for the people of East Pierce County," said Sound Transit Vice Chair and University Place Councilmember Kent Keel.
Puyallup Mayor Dean Johnson added, "As a regular Sounder rider, I have seen the need for this garage for a long time. Puyallup is pleased to be part of a new day for Sounder riders in East Pierce County."
Features of the $50 million project include:
- Five-level garage with 510 parking stalls
- A pedestrian bridge over Fifth St. N.W. on the garage’s third level
- Public art by artist Qwalsius - Shaun Peterson on the garage façade — the first large public art installation by a Puyallup Tribe artist in the city of Puyallup
- New on-demand BikeLink lockers
Other project improvements include new safety upgrades for vehicles and pedestrians at the 7th and 5th Streets railroad crossings and new traffic signalization of the 7th and Stewart Street intersection. Additionally, Sound Transit continues to fund ongoing pedestrian and bike access improvements being implemented by the city of Puyallup through 2024.
Sound Transit's Sounder S Line train service gives Pierce County residents a dependable, traffic-free commute to and from Seattle. The trip, with Wi-Fi, from Puyallup Station to Seattle's King Street Station takes about 45 minutes. Weekend service is also offered for select major sporting events; the schedule is available on the ST website.
Additional transit service to and from Puyallup Station includes:
- ST Express 578, connecting with Sumner, Auburn, Federal Way and Seattle.
- ST Express 580, connecting with the Red Lot and South Hill park and rides
- Pierce Transit Route 400, connecting with South Hill, the Red Lot, and Tacoma
- Pierce Transit Route 402, connecting with South Hill and Federal Way
- Pierce Transit Route 409, Puyallup-72nd St.
- Pierce Transit Route 425, Puyallup Connector
Find S Line and ST Express schedule information at https://www.soundtransit.org/ride-with-us/schedules-maps.