With the exception of Tacoma Link, Sound Transit contracts with local transit agencies to operate our buses and trains. Accessibility policies in use by these partner agencies are in effect on ST Express, Link light rail and Sounder. In general, this includes the following:
• Service animals fully under the control of their handlers are welcome at Sound Transit.
• Riders requiring wheelchairs must be secured onboard buses. However, if we are unable to secure your mobility device and you still choose to ride on ST buses, you will be allowed to ride unsecured. Riders do not have to secure their mobility devices on Link light rail, Tacoma Link or Sounder.
• Personal care attendants (PCAs) assisting passengers with disabilities may ride free if the person they are assisting holds a Reduced Regional Fare Permit (RRFP) with the PCA designation on the card. Both the rider with a disability and the PCA should have an RRFP with the PCA designation. The rider with a disability rides at the reduced fare cost and the PCA rides for free.
• PCA’s must get on and off the bus or train at the same time as the rider they are assisting in order to ride for free.
Reasonable modification to policy or practice
Sound Transit does not intentionally discriminate against riders with disabilities. In situations when an existing policy or practice results in discrimination against a rider with a disability, Sound Transit will make every effort to modify that policy or practice upon request to the maximum extent feasible. For example, it is our policy to pick up and drop off passengers at designated bus stops or stations. However, if it is not possible to deploy a ramp at a particular bus stop, the operator will adjust the position of the bus to another location on the block where the ramp can be deployed.
Reasonable modifications to policies and practices will not be made if doing so:
• Changes the fundamental nature of our service (transportation).
• Creates a direct threat to the health or safety of others.
Modifications requested for the sake of convenience are beyond the scope of this policy. Sound Transit is not required to make modifications to policies or practices that aren’t strictly necessary to provide access to our transportation services. However, we consider all requests for reasonable modification on a case-by-case basis and work with each rider to find solutions.
To request a reasonable modification or to learn more about this policy, contact email@example.com.