Northgate - Angle Lake (Operated by King County Metro)
Link light rail expansion map (Univ. of Washington to Northgate)
Current and proposed service
- September 2020: On weekdays, trains operate every 8 minutes during the morning and afternoon rush hours, every 15 minutes during the early morning, midday and early evening, and every 30 minutes late at night. On weekends, service operates every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes late night.
- March 2021 Proposal: Maintain September 2020 service levels.
- September 2021 Proposal: Service to Northgate begins, using the same frequencies implemented in September 2020, but with four-car trains instead of three-car trains.
Why are we proposing these changes?
In March 2020, service adjustments were necessary to preserve coverage to all areas of the system and conserve resources as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Starting on Sept. 19, 2020 service will increase to account for higher ridership. This level of service will be maintained into 2021.
What does this mean for riders?
- Opening Northgate Link will bring light rail service to three new stations in North Seattle: U District, Roosevelt and Northgate. At Northgate, connections would be available to ST Express buses serving Snohomish County.
- Four-car trains will add capacity to Link.
- Previous operating plan had Link service operating every six minutes during peak until Eastlink opens, the new service proposal has Link service operating every eight minutes during peak periods.
- Riders may experience slightly longer waits.
Draft Title VI evaluation
- Disparate impact: Yes. The proposed change affects an area with a minority population of 54.8%, higher than the Sound Transit District average of 39.7%.
- Disproportionate burden: Yes. The proposed change affects an area with a low-income population of 23.0%, higher than the Sound Transit District average of 16.4%.
- Due to the determination of both a disparate impact and disproportionate burden, results from public input and a review of alternatives will help shape the final proposal.