Two years after groundbreaking, civil construction on the Lynnwood Link extension has reached the 50 percent completion mark.
Construction teams continue to advance the work on the project, which is scheduled to begin service in just a few years!
The extension includes four new stations serving Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Shoreline and Seattle.
By 2024, Lynnwood Link and other extensions currently under construction will more that double the length of the region’s light rail system.
The remarkable progress we’re making is visible daily for anyone driving along I-5.
Among the construction progress made to date:
- All of the project’s 188 columns are complete.
- All but three (530 of the 533) girders have been set, with the remaining girders to be set before the end of the year.
- Rail work has begun on multiple locations.
- Construction of all 10 bridges has begun and is 80 percent complete.
Construction is also well underway on three new garages being built for the extension. The garages at the Shoreline South/148th and Shoreline North/185th stations, will each have approximately 500 parking spaces.
The new garage at Lynnwood Transit Center will contain 1,670 parking stalls in a five-story structure. The parking garage is scheduled to open to the public in the spring of 2023, more than a year before light rail service to the Lynnwood City Center Station begins, in order to allow for the site work around the station to be completed.
When Lynnwood Link light rail service begins, commuters from the Lynnwood Transit Center will enjoy:
- 20 minute rides to the University of Washington
- 27 minute rides to downtown Seattle
- 60 minute rides to Sea-Tac Airport
Trains from Lynnwood will also serve the Eastside and reach downtown Bellevue in 51 minutes.
Take a look at some more fresh pics: