Mercer Island intersection work to begin as early as May 17
Sound Transit and its contractors will begin work to improve four intersections on Mercer Island ahead of the scheduled June 3 closure of the center roadway express lanes. These improvements are to prepare the region for the opening of the new I-90 mainline HOV lanes and the closure of the center roadway HOV lanes. Crews will work at four locations:
Start date: As early as Wednesday, May 17.
Work hours: Crews will work from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday – Friday; 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Limited overnight work may also occur.
Duration: Work is expected to take approximately four weeks. Some work is weather dependent and the schedule may change.
What to expect:
- Crews will be restriping lanes, installing traffic signals and traffic cameras, adding a transit bypass lane and converting existing ramps for metering.
- Crews will dig trenches in WSDOT planted areas to install conduit.
- Temporary parking restrictions will be in place up to 24 hours before work begins near work areas.
- Crews will work in the existing right of way with traffic control in place. Please follow the direction of flaggers and signage to safely access your destination.
- Cyclists and I-90 trail users should follow detours and construction signage to access your destination.
- Crews will complete this work in a compressed schedule to minimize local traffic impacts. Limited overnight work may occur.