Mercer Island: Upcoming I-90 westbound overnight closures
I-90 westbound will close overnight for post-tensioning.
Crews working for Sound Transit will plan to close the I-90 westbound lanes overnight for up to two weekends in July. During these closures, crews will post-tension the Homer M. Hadley floating bridge. Post-tensioning is a method to reinforce concrete with high strength tensioned steel strands to strengthen the bridge, increase its longevity and prepare for future East Link operation.
To safely conduct the post-tensioning, I-90 westbound will be closed between Island Crest Way on Mercer Island and I-5 in Seattle. To minimize impacts to drivers, I-90 westbound will be closed during overnight hours on the following days:
Friday, July 20 – Saturday, July 21 (11 p.m. – 7 a.m.)
Saturday, July 21 – Sunday, July 22 (11 p.m. – 7 a.m.)
Sunday, July 22 – Monday, July 23 (10:30 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.)
Saturday, July 28 – Sunday, July 29 (11 p.m. – 7 a.m.)
Sunday, July 29 – Monday, July 30 (10:30 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.)
Crews will begin closing lanes and ramps at 8 p.m. and will begin reopening lanes beginning at 7 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday mornings and 4:30 a.m. Monday morning. Vehicles traveling westbound during the closures will exit the roadway at Island Crest Way. Emergency vehicles will continue to have access to westbound I-90 during these closures.
Here's what you can expect:
- Westbound I-90 between Island Crest Way and I-5, will be closed beginning at 11 p.m. Friday until 7 a.m. Saturday and from 11 p.m. Saturday until 7 a.m. Sunday during the weekend of July 20 – July 22.
- Westbound I-90 between Island Crest Way and I-5, will be closed beginning at 11 p.m. Saturday until 7 a.m. Sunday and from 10:30 p.m. Sunday until 4:30 a.m. Monday during the weekend of July 28 – July 30.
- Vehicles, lights, generators and work crews will be visible on the floating bridge.
- The trail along the north side of the I-90 Bridge will be closed.
- All traffic will exit at Island Crest Way. The following I-90 ramps will close prior to 11 p.m.:
- 76th Avenue westbound on-ramp (Mercer Island)
- Island Crest Way westbound HOV on-ramp (Mercer Island)
- 80th Avenue westbound HOV off-ramp
- South Bellevue Way Southeast HOV westbound on-ramp (Bellevue)
- I-405 southbound HOV on-ramp (at I-90 and I-405 interchange)
- ST 550 and 554 buses with service after 11 p.m., will terminate at the Mercer Island Park-and-Ride before returning to eastbound I-90. Buses will not serve the westbound Rainier Flyer Stop in Seattle after 11 p.m.