Safety Drill on July 7th, Update to overnight closures in Downtown Bellevue and Reopening of 110th Avenue Northeast
Safety Drill on Saturday, July 7th
Sound Transit will host a safety drill on Saturday, July 7th, in downtown Bellevue. This is a coordinated effort with City of Bellevue emergency services to practice responses to different scenarios, and familiarize the Fire Department personnel with the features on the site.
What to expect
- On Saturday, July 7th, safety drill will be held at approximately 10:30 a.m.
- Emergency Drill signs will be posted on site.
- Neighbors and motorists may see and/or hear fire trucks near Sound Transit’s Mid-Tunnel construction site at 110th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 2nd Place.
- Engine crews or aid units will be on site.
Update to overnight closures in Downtown Bellevue
A June 14th construction alert stated the full closure on 116th Avenue Northeast would be on June 21st and July 18th – July 19th. In addition to those dates, July 16th - 17th will also have nighttime full closures. June 21st and July 18th – July 19th closures will go as scheduled.
Drivers should be aware of upcoming overnight closures in downtown Bellevue. Beginning on Monday, June 16th, Sound Transit's contractor will be closing roadways in preparation for the future elevated light rail structure.
This work includes the setting of concrete girders and falsework across several Bellevue roads. Falsework is the temporary wood decking system between and outside of the girders used to support the construction of the concrete deck for the light rail trains to run on. The following road will have full closures:
Full closure on 116th Avenue Northeast (June 21st and July 16th – July 19th) Each night, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., 116th Avenue Northeast between Northeast 8th Street and Northeast 4th Street will be fully closed adjacent to Lincoln Center & Cadillac of Bellevue to set girders and install falsework.
These nighttime construction activities are allowed per the Expanded Work Hours Permit (#17-102696 LY) issued by the City of Bellevue.
What to expect
- Sidewalks will be closed along the east side of 116th Avenue Northeast adjacent to the work area. All other sidewalks will be maintained at work sites while work is ocurring.
- Access to 116 Coast Hotel will remain open.
- Types of equipment are flatbed trucks, aeral lifts, small generators, light plants, cranes, and saws.
- Please follow the direction of flaggers and signed detours to saftely access your destination.
Long-term reopening of 110th Avenue Northeast scheduled to begin July 9th
On Monday, July 9th, Sound Transit will begin the second phase of the long-term traffic control plan on a portion of 110th Avenue Northeast between Northeast 4th and Northeast 6th streets. The current full closure will reopen providing access to one lane in each direction. The reopening is necessary to build the East Link light rail north tunnel portal near Bellevue City Hall.
Additional, in preparation for the reopening of 110th Avenue Northeast, Sound Transit’s contractor will restripe a portion of 110th Avenue Northeast adjacent to the closure area between Northeast 4th and Northeast 6th streets on Saturday July 7th and Sunday July 8th. Permitted work hours will be Saturday 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. City Center's parking garage access from 110th Avenue Northeast will be closed while work is occurring. Skyline’s parking garage access from 110th Avenue Northeast will be maintained.
Phase 2 (July 9, 2018 – approximately Spring 2019). One lane of traffic in each direction on 110th Avenue Northeast will be reopened in both the northbound and southbound direction. This work is scheduled to last about 10 months.
Phase 3 (approximately Spring 2019 – Winter 2019). Phase 3 again requires a full closure of all lanes on 110th Avenue Northeast in the work area as utilities are reinstalled and the roadway restored.
What to expect
- Work will occur between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday - Friday.
- Phase 2 is expected to last for about 10 months.
- Sidewalks will be closed along the east side of 110th Avenue Northeast adjacent to the work area and on the south side of Northeast 6th Street. A temporary mid-block crosswalk will be added just south of the work area to facilitate pedestrian access across 110th Avenue Northeast.
- A uniformed police officer will direct traffic as needed.
- The Bellevue Transit Center will remain open.
- Access to City Hall visitor parking will be available.
- Barriers and signage will prohibit vehicles and pedestrians from entering the work zone. Detour signage will be in place.