Created in 1997, the Community Oversight Panel (formerly the Citizen Oversight Panel, or COP) independently monitors Sound Transit and its commitment to build and operate the region's high-capacity transit system.
The Sound Transit Board of Directors appoints and tasks COP members with asking hard questions, reviewing details and reporting findings back to the board. Its 15 volunteers represent a variety of interests, professional expertise and experience.
The COP monitors Sound Transit's performance in the following areas:
- Community engagement activities
- Project planning and alignment decisions
- Budget and financial plan
- Project schedule and budget adherence
- Agency performance audits
- Social justice and equity
- Passenger experience