In this alert: Weekend of October 21-22, Weekday construction traffic impacts, Tree removal from station site to 112th Ave SE, Night work between I-90 on ramp and I-90
Weekend of Oct. 21 – 22 Bellevue Way SE reduced to one lane and ramps to I-90 closed
Utility relocation work will continue this weekend on Bellevue Way Southeast. Sound Transit's contractor plans to close three lanes of Bellevue Way Southeast from 5:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 21st through 9 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 22nd.
During the closure, Bellevue Way Southeast will be reduced to one northbound lane and access to I-90 will be prohibited. The eastbound I-90 ramp to Bellevue Way Southeast will also be closed. Westbound I-90 to northbound Bellevue Way Southeast will be maintained.
During the weekend closure, Sound Transit's contractor will continue work to install and relocate utilities along Bellevue Way Southeast.
1. Northbound vehicles will travel in a temporary lane on Bellevue Way Southeast. Access to Sweyolocken Boat Launch will only be available from westbound I-90 to northbound Bellevue Way Southeast. Local access will be maintained to all residential driveways along Bellevue Way Southeast. Emergency access will be maintained.
2. Access from Bellevue Way Southeast to I-90 will be prohibited. The eastbound I-90 ramp to Bellevue Way Southeast will also be closed. Westbound I-90 to northbound Bellevue Way Southeast will be maintained.
3. Vehicle access and parking at the Temporary Mercer Slough Parking lot will not be available during the weekend closure.
4. The sidewalk on Bellevue Way Southeast in this area is closed; people biking and walking should seek alternate routes.
5. Bus stops on Bellevue Way Southeast, south of the Wye at 112th Avenue Southeast will be closed and riders will need to use alternate stops located on Bellevue Way Southeast, north of the Wye.
6. Detour to I-90 and I-405 via 112th Avenue Southeast and Southeast 8th.
Weekday construction traffic impacts: Week of Oct. 23 – Oct. 27
Monday- Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.: As needed, one northbound lane of Bellevue Way Southeast may be closed from the north end of the South Bellevue Station site to the Wye at 112th Avenue Southeast.
Monday-Friday 8 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Daily/overnight closure of the Bellevue Way Southeast to I-90 west HOV ramp. The duration of these closures may vary based on the needs of the contractor, but the ramps are expected to remain open from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Daily/overnight closures of the Bellevue Way Southeast to I-90 west HOV ramp are expected to continue on a regular basis throughout the project. During the closures the contractor is performing work to construct the columns and guideway.
Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.: In order to complete utility work Sound Transit's contractor will close up to two lanes of 112th Avenue Southeast, between Main Street and Southeast 8th. Two way traffic will be maintained at all times. During the closures, the 24-hour sidewalk closure listed below may be adjusted and sidewalk access will be maintained on one side of the street. Flaggers and detour signs will help guide people walking, biking and driving.
Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.: In order to complete utility work one southbound lane of Bellevue Way Southeast will be closed between the Wye at 112th and the Blueberry Farm. Upon completion of the work north of the Blueberry Farm, a similar closure of one southbound lane is expected between the main entrance to South Bellevue Station and Southeast 30th.
Reminder of ongoing closures
For information on previously announced long-term and ongoing closures click here.
- Sidewalk closures and detours on Bellevue Way Southeast and 112th Avenue Southeast
- Lane reductions on 112th Avenue Southeast
- Closure of Southeast 15th at 112th Avenue Southeast
- Winters House and Blueberry Farm Closure and new temporary lot
A look ahead
Sound Transit's contractor expects regular weekend closures to continue into November.
- Weekend of Oct. 28-29: The Oct. 21-22 closure will be repeated.
- Weekend of Nov. 4-5: A full closure of Bellevue Way Southeast and all ramps between I-90 and Bellevue Way Southeast is expected.
Tree removal station site to 112th Avenue Southeast
Beginning as early as next week, Sound Transit's contractor will resume clearing trees and understory vegetation in the Sound Transit work zone along Bellevue Way Southeast, between the station site and 112th Avenue Southeast. Trees located where the light rail route will be built need to be removed in order to build the project. Sound Transit has worked closely with the City of Bellevue and Washington State Department of Ecology in development, review and approval of plans for clearing trees and understory vegetation.
The preservation of trees to the maximum extent feasible has been a primary project goal throughout project design and into construction. Throughout the corridor, trees that are in close proximity to the work zone but not be negatively impacted by construction or light rail operations will be preserved with protective fencing.
Night work between ramp to I-90 and I-90 roadway
Overnight on Tuesday, Oct. 24-Friday, Oct. 26, from 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., Sound Transit's contractor will pour roadway pole foundations between I-90 and the Bellevue Way Southeast westbound on ramp. A shoulder and lane closure on westbound I-90 is necessary for this work to occur. Crews will minimize noise, dust and debris to extent possible during the work. Noise impacts from this work are expected to be minimal.